View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Black\'s 2 donkey plays

[ QUOTE ]
All of you that are saying that the KJo hand is a donkey play are IDIOTS.

Seriously, none of you should ever play in the main-event (let alone a tournament entry of more than $1K), you weak-tight donkeys.

The difference between 10th and 9th is 400,000$, plus you can add a final table to your name.

If I was Black, I would do this with any type of hands (suited connectors/broadway/small pair) to push Barch off a hand that's not QQ+. Barch made a great read that he wasn't a coin flip and called with his jacks.

The reason that this play is so great is because if one of you weak-tight donkeys makes this play with jacks, and Black puts you all in you're folding A LOT of hands including sometimes AK. Seriously, unless you only call with QQ/KK/AA/AK (2.6% of hands) and you make the 1 million raise with hands from, 99+/AQo+ (5.1% of hands), Black moves you off your hand close to 50% of the time. and even if you call, Black wins 1 out of 4 times against that hand range.

So congratulations, you lose $400,000 and 4.5 million in chips to the chip leader who now has close to 19 million in chips (more than 1/3 of the chips in play) 1/4th of the time.

Even if Barch folds 99-JJ/AQ (which he will close to 50% of the time), Black now has close to 16 million chips. And you're not even guaranteed making the final table and $1,000,000 if you're Barch.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a donkey move by Barch if he doesn't call Black a large percentage of the time. He forced Black to make that move.

Seriously people. Stop talking like you know what's going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your math and taking the payouts* into consideration, but I think you are missing the point here. Look how this hand played out...

"Hand 41 - Andrew Black has the button in seat 2, Matusow raises to $260,000, Lazar calls, Black calls, Barch reraises to $1,000,000, and everyone folds to Black, who thinks long and hard. After a few minutes, Black reraises all in. Now the million-dollar pressure cooker is in full force on Tex Barch, who counts out his chips as he considers the call. Andrew Black looks relaxed as he takes a drink from his water bottle, and then watches Barch count his chips. Barch takes a good look at Black, who was looking down and shuffling his chips. When Black looks up, their eyes meet for a moment, and Black smiles at the surprise. About ten seconds later, Barch makes the call."

Black just called after Matusow's raise and Lazar's call. Now if I'm Tex and after I reraise everyone folds to Black who puts me all in, I'm almost positive he's trying to make a move here. If you saw the hand on TV, it's even more obvious. I'm not even faulting Black for trying to make a move heads up in a big pot before the flop even came. He just picked a bad spot here and wasn't too convincing IMHO.