View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Unusual AKo hand, 30-60

Plenty of folks will bet the ace here without being able to beat an ace holding. They hold an overpair (or even an underpair) and panic-bet when the ace hits, they hold something/anything and think that a bet with the scare card will chase off the hands that will beat them (i.e. your ace), or even because he is a 38/14 donkey who thinks, "HOT DARN MY A5 THAT I RAISED WITH PREFLOP CAME IN! AND THEY SAY THAT POKER IS HARD! WOOOOOODOGGY! BET!"

Other times, he'll have AJ, AQ, or AK, and be making a straight-forward value bet.

Of course, he might also have made his two pair, a set, or the straight, but I personally have a hard time thinking that he has these later hands more than 92% of the time in this situation, with this board, with this play.

The two overcalls are even less of a worry, as Josh and others noted. If they could beat you, they would have likely bet the turn, or at least raised this river. Really, their main contribution to the problem at hand was to raise the pot odds for your call.

Accordingly, I think you have to credit UTG with being a far better player than Josh otherwise described him to make this situation anything other than a call.

I am looking forward to see how it actually went down. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[Edit: I see that you posted some of the results while I was composing my thoughts, but that doesn't change my analysis. Like ALL1N, I would like to know what UTG had. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]]