View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: A conversation w/ daryn re: being a teacher

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you'd need to get certified, though. I'm not quite sure of the certification process for people without education degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

here is what i could never stand to be a teacher: all these strict rules and general bs. An education degree? That sounds like a complete waste of time. The procedure for being a teacher is too mechanical. I think that all of this nonsense weeds out all of the creative people.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i agree with you in general about this

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, maybe you can tell us what is this 'nonsense' he's talking about....

Usually people think "good teaching" is the way they learned best in high school. There's lots to it - from curriculum to instruction to assessment to learning theory.

There's nothing stultifying about an education degree from a quality program IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

His post makes some sense if you are willing to take it with a grain of salt. There are definitely some teachers who don't know their subject matter, but are there anyway because they have an education degree. And there are definitely some incredibly intelligent people who would like to become teachers, but cannot because they don't have an education degree. That's a shame, because many of these people know their subject inside and out, have experience using the subject in the real world, and have original ideas for conveying the subject to students. It's a shame that the fact that they don't have an education degree is holding them back from entering the profession. Luckily, a lot of states have alternate route programs now, so it's a little easier for career changers. All that being said, having an education degree is certainly not worthless, and I don't think that's what KingKungFuMaster was saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, I think everybody's also experience the hugely intelligent teachers that couldn't communicate their ideas to students as well.

The education program isn't just about learning how to teach. You spend tons of hours in the classroom (I spent 30 last semester alone), you learn how to work with kids, learn about common problems, etc. It's a lot about te4aching, but also a lot about everything teachers have to do that ISN'T teaching.

I agree if you're gonna teach an Honors/AP physics class that an education degree doesn't matter, because those are taught just like college courses lots of times. That's not gonna happen though.