View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: why short term goals are bad

Goals can be very good if created responsibly.

For instance, assume two equally skilled and equally bankrolled players set out to win PCA seats.
Players A plays when he feels up to it, and knows he wants to win a seat and not much else.
Player B organizes the task into a series of smaller objectives, for instance:
1) win 650 W$ by playing rebuy sats
2) Sweat the end of the Saturday MTT to have a general idea of what to expect toward the bubble.
3) Play the MTT sat on Nov 26th at the very earliest, assuming I've earned XXX $ by then, if not defer to two weeks later.

Setting goals like 'FT 6 tournaments' or 'win 5' is arbitrary and counter to the nature of MTTs, I agree with you there but certain calendar-based goals can be useful and I may go so far as to say necessary to maximizing your game.

There are a lot of goals (i.e. re-read TOP next week, finish that post I've been working on re: Stars 500k data*, play 5 deepstack tournaments this month to prepare for the WPT in January, ...), which I would argue are absolutely necessary to making one the best player they can be.

It is quite easy for a good player to get stuck in a groove and not better his game if he has not set goals to challenge himself to improve.

*forthcoming

P.S.
No offense, but after a period, the next letter should be in what's called "upper case", for instance 'a' becomes 'A' and so on, otherwise reading your posts is a major headache.
Read up and correct this in the future, make it a goal!