View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Bikes in Las Vegas

As has been alluded to- Vegas is not a very bike-friendly city. I have been hit by a car once- A guy in a big line of traffic waiting for a stop light decided to gun it out into the shoulder right as I was passing by and side swiped me. I have had a couple other close calls. I'm not gonna tell you not to ride a bike here- I still do when I am in town. If you ride at night- have lights! and definitely wear a helmet.

Getting a bike stolen shouldn't be a big deal for you since you are looking to get a cheap bike. I had a $1000 bike stolen that I had locked up just off the strip with a U-lock. So Spooks- if you are riding your bike outside of your area be very cautious about locking it up (if you aren't already). I now lock mine up with "street cuffs"- they look like handcuffs- apparently U-locks can be busted apart with a car-jack. Anyone who rides their bike to the strip lock your bike in a high-vis area. MGM has a good bike lock-up in the garage near the valet. Downtown- I know that the Horseshoe has bike racks in one of the parking garages- it seems slightly iffy as far as getting a bike ripped off there if you just have a cable/chain lock.

As far as buying a bike- pick up a copy of the paper when you get into town- there are usually a couple of bikes for around $100 in the classifieds- usually cheap Mtn bike style.