View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Books to help w/ frustration at draw outs

I'm right there with you, man. I always thought I was even-keeled about my game but a string of bad mathematics has been hitting me for about 2 weeks. I would be getting my money in with the best hand, sometimes 80% or better and still getting sucked out on. DO NOT LET THIS TYPE OF RUN CHANGE YOUR GAME FOR THE WORSE. Stick to your best game. Re-read the first book that seriously helped your particular game out. Look to exclude emotions from your decisions and make the best one's possible. You can control what you do in a game, not what the maniacs do. Make sure you're not making moves that give weak hands valid reasons for taking a shot against you. Make it hurt if you can. You want the guy to call with the inferior hand or to draw against the odds. Check hand histories for critical hands and work on what YOU can do to put yourself in the best situations.

I'm gonna go check that guy's post mentioned earlier. You can know all this and still be bothered by this type of "black-cloud-over-my-head" mentality. And I did read Zen and the Art of Poker. Lots of what I posted can be found in that book. It gave me a good perspective on the emotional issues in poker. Just be objective when reading it (or any other poker book) and you will get out of it whatever value it has to offer you.