View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Matt Matros article in Cardplayer about coinflips

Hi Everyone:

I haven't read this thread but I did read the Matros article. I believe he is correct for the vast majority of players but wrong for extremely good ones. That's because, in my opinion, he under estimates the expectation of a really top player.

Here's what Dan Harrington says in Harrington on Hold 'em: Volume I:

[ QUOTE ]
Professionals rank the different forms of poker by how much they consider their entry fees in a tournament to be worth. Top seven-card stud players, for instance, think that the true value of an entry into a seven-stud tournament is about twice the entry fee. (Paying $1,000 to enter a seven-stud tournament should yield, over a long run of tournaments, about $2,000 in prizes.) An entry to a razz or Omaha tournament yields about the same value. But the best no-limit hold ’em players think that a $1,000 entry fee is worth $4,000 to $5,000, and in huge events like the World Series of Poker, with many beginners in the field, perhaps as much as $7,000 to $8,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matros seems to indicate that estimates like this are way too high. But if Dan is correct, it's my opinion that Matros is wrong for this small select group. However, if it happens to be me he's talking about, then I agree with him.

best wishes,
Mason