View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: expert play or lapse in judgement?

"the call on the flop isn't all that bad either. One, the raiser will bet even with a hand like AQ. His 55 may be best. And if it is AND his opponent(s) make a mistake of checking the turn, he may be able to win the pot. add to that the small chance he may hit a set on the turn. Given the $ already in the pot, it is not at all unreasonable to throw in one more small bet just in case.
The only reasonable argument against that call is that there are two players behind him to act. This would push the flop call to -EV, but I don't think by much."

I agree with every line. This is not an autofold for me either. I think you left out two important things though.

1) He had the five of clubs. Without it, I would fold for sure. That's one of those little things I didn't use to pay all that much attention to and now it is more often than not the determining factor to whether or not I stay in on the flop with an under-pocket-pair and a twotone board. With the five of clubs, I might or might not call, depending on the dependencies.

It's not just that without the club five I could hit my set and complete a flush for someone on the turn. It's also that I could hit my set and put a three-flush on board, giving equity and determination to anyone with a lone club, while simultaneously taking away my threebet power on the turn.

2) With a board of K-9-4, if a five comes on the turn, it does not complete an openender or a double gutshot, or give anyone a one-card straight draw going in to the river. If the board was say K-7-6, I'd fold on the flop even if I had the club five.

Tommy