View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Matt Matros article in Cardplayer about coinflips

I agree with the notion that it depends on your skill level relative to the rest of the table, and the value of your time.

Consider if you are unfortunate enough on Day 1 of the WSOP to be seated at a table with Ivey, Lederer, Matasow, Helmuth, and Negreanu and Brunson. Very few of us are going to survive playing post-flop with that lineup; a coin flip looks like just lovely in that situation.

On the other hand, if you happen to get an entire table of folks that can't even spell "pokur" taking a coin flip looks much less attractive.

I know that Matros does the math and shows that the coin flip should still be right in the latter situation, but I still would rather get into a post-flop match with folks that I feel I have that strong of an edge on. If I'm going to take a coin flip with folks that I think that I have a good shot outplaying, I at least want to be the one pushing rather than calling so that they have a chance to make more bad decisions.

Tiffany makes a good point about the value of time; if you are taking time from playing a ring game where you have a favorable hourly rate, that should be factored in if you are considering a "double up quick or bust" strategy. It may be much more +EV to either put yourself in a situation where you can take control of the table early with a big stack if you are missing substancial earnings from a cash game by continuing to play.

Shauna