View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Is checking out \"unethical\"?

[ QUOTE ]

I will go a step further: If you are playing in my game and you are the first to act on the river, PLEASE check out. If I am still in the hand, it is far more preferrable to be facing one less adversary when it is my turn to act. Indeed, if you don't check out you are likely the guy that is going to make it clear he is going to fold anyway. So just do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong on so many levels... let's look at an example.

4 players see the river.. the first 2 check-out to you and it's your turn to act. What has just happened?

1. Yes you now only have to worry about 1 other player, BUT
2. You ability to bluff now has greatly been reduced.
3. The player to your left now "regains" position on the entire table as opposed to someone just checking. With the first 2 checking-out, he knows that he will be closing the action.
4. Points 2 and 3 now give the guy to your left even more info than he should have and it helps him MUCH more than you compared to the first 2 just checking.

I agree that checking-out is stupid and I have never done it and will probably never do it unless I'm pulling some meta games in a HU only situation (VERY DOUBTFUL [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])