View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Is checking out \"unethical\"?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The traditional stud rule is you continue to deal up cards but no 7th street card. The reason for this in stud is the other players are entitled to information the up cards provide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which they wouldn't be entitled to if you folded to a bet, so I think this further supports the concept that checking out is not a legitimate option.

[/ QUOTE ]

You continue dealing cards to the folded spot until there is a legitimate bet. That is so the "check out" does not influence the cards that will play. If there is a bet in the same round following the check out, you do not deal to that spot. It is the same reason why the typical rule when the turn is exposed too early is to shuffle it in after the river that would have been dealt is dealt -- preserve the integrity of the order of the cards to the extent possible.

This does not show that "checking out" is not a legitimate action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it shows checking out isn't legitmate -- Assuming your "integrity of the order of the Deck" theory is correct (though I lean to Randy's explanation) you make the point for me. If a player folds to a bet then he doesn't have anymore cards dealt to him. Doesn't that change the order of the deck for future cards. If you had to maintain the integrity of the deck after a check-out then it is obvious that a checkout is not a legitmate action like folding to a bet.