View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Beginner - Self Destructing

Great timing for my reply - I was in your exact spot until very recently. I play exclusively $5-$10 MTT and SnGs and have been giving away my stack, esp. after making it to the $$. For what its worth, it discovered that while I said my goal was FT or 1st, I was really playing to cash. Once I got there, it was like "mission accomplished."

You must change gears here or go get a beer - whatever puts yourself into a new mindset.

For me, I STOPPED looking at the Leaderboard completely when I made the cash line. It was no longer helpful. Instead, I opened the other tourney tables and watched the other decent players instead. Total change in what I was following and thinking about from "I need to grow my stack another 30% to be in the zone" to "How can I beat that guy when we are at the same table?"

Last night, it all came together and instead of just making the final table, I took them all down, and knocked out 4 of the other 5 final table players. Needless to say, $600 for first doubled my meager newbie bankroll.

Just like changing gears, you must also change your mindset as the tournament progresses.
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]