View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Results/Thoughts

First, I almost never raise preflop with QJ. Generally, if I have good control of the table I'll raise with 56,67,89, (sometimes J10), and most gapper connectors.

Second the turn check: Against a tighter opponent, ie-abc player or weak tight, I check the turn many times in these situations for pot control.

Similarly, against a tricky aggro player I check this turn for pot control, but also to induce a bluff.

Against a shmuck aggro player, I check this turn to induce a bluff.

But, against an aggro player whose tendencies I haven't figured out yet, this is a tricky situation for me. If I bet and he calls, then what do I do on the river? A blocking bet I guess. If I bet and he raises, then this sometimes causes me to make incorrect decisions; I often think "Well, he'd slowplay a fullhouse, and would he really raise with xx preflop? Wouldn't he raise me on the flop with a set? I'll call." Against a tricky LAG, this is bad reasoning; this is what causes good LAGs to be so tough.

Incidentally, I did use this reasoning on the river. I checked, for pot control, he checked behind and I figured I was ahead. I value bet the river, he pushed and I decided that his hand range was too wide for me to make this laydown without a strong read.

I called and he had A10. Lucky river for me I guess.

To the guy who said that it'd be cool if my opponent had a bigger stack, I disagree. The bigger the stacks the harder this situation is for me.

This is a really easy hand against abc and tag players, and even easier against a maniac. But it's pretty confusing vs a good player, in my opinion.