View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Matt Matros article in Cardplayer about coinflips

[ QUOTE ]
1.) changing the prize pool, doesn't change anything. We are thinking of things in terms of % of total prizes, so it doesnt change anything if it 1$, or a million

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I'm following here. Let's say the total prize pool is $2500 and the rest is the same (buy-in $30, 1000 players, $1000 in chips, sick tourney, I know). Your share of the prize pool is 0.1% * $2500 = $2.5. Going all in on a coinflip and winning would increase your share of the prize pool to... Well, not much and a lot less than the buy-in.

On the other hand, if the prizepool was sweetened with a billion or so your initial share of the PP would be rather big (and so it would be for everyone else, obviously), way bigger than your $30 buy-in.

[ QUOTE ]
2.) Once we are in the money, the prize you get when you bust out now is completely irrelevant. Everyone gets at least that much, so it doesn't effect decision making if it is 0 or a million, doesnt matter. What matters is the distribution of the rest of the payouts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I just used the ITM-example to illustrate that flipping higher in the tourney is a better deal than flipping early.

[ QUOTE ]
3.)Flips make less sense at the final table. Here, your % of total chips does not equal the % of the total prize pool, b/c some of the prizes have already been given out. Also, just surviving has real $ value. Each time someone busts out you make money.

[/ QUOTE ]Hrm...yeah. Those tiny factors slipped my mind [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Yes, I think this is a confusing subject. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]