View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: How\'s your SSNLHE?: 22

Alot of interesting comments. Some thoughts:

--This was actually an MTT hand that I played when we were down to the final 3. I limp/called a raise preflop, and chose a c/r on the flop, and had to fold to a push from villian who showed his TT afterwards. I modified the hand for the quiz. FYI, action Hero takes in the quiz isn't alway optimal. (The villian hands described in the reads were hands he had played earlier in the MTT when we were at the same table. That table broke up and when we met back at the final table I was perplexed that he was still around. FWIW, I took 2nd and he won. And then 2 nights later in the same small (~70 player) tourney, I took 2nd to him again. So he knows his way around the felt a little bit.)

--I'm somewhat surprised with the ratio of raisers vs. completers preflop. I was hoping some of the 6-max heavy hitters like TWP, Ghaz, Xorbie, etc. would chime in with their thoughts. I've kind of evolved from a completer to a raiser in this spot (even though I play full ring, and folding to me in SB when I have a small pp might come up once in a blue moon).

The advantages of raising are that we may take it down right there, or that we are the aggressor in the hand and can take it down with a bet on the flop. And if we hit our set, the pot has a little something in it. 22 isn't great, but it's ahead of all but 12 hands right now, so we are probably best and aren't we supposed to bet when we have the best hand?

--I can't see folding preflop to villian's raise as some have chosen in the quiz. We know he's going to CB. If we hit a set, we can count on him adding to the pot almost automatically. If we c/c our set (on certain flops), he gets 4 cards to make a pair/2 pair hand, where we can get adequate $$$ back from him to make the $2.50 call worthwhile preflop. Plus, there will be times he has Q8 or AJ and fold to a flop c/r.

--Do we contest the pot is the other big question. And how do we go about it. Very often the flop will be such that we shouldn't bother contesting it at all in these situation. Draw heavy or J-A high probably just c/f. We have a dry board here, and he should be able to find a fold with overs or air if we c/r the flop and that's why I think we should contest it with a c/r. HU, one pair hands are often good, no matter the size of the pair.