View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: What\'s your pet peeve?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when a cashier gives you your change and puts the bills in your palm first and then the coins on top, making it inevitable that at least one of the coins will drop

[/ QUOTE ]

Even more annoying is when the cashier sandwiches the receipt between the bills and the change (especially when it is the psycho cashier in the company cafeteria who forces receipts on everyone -- just in case they need to return that coffee later...).

Also cashiers who talk to co-workers, who always seem to need "the key", can't count, try to make you get their special frequent user card, speak to you, look at you funny, move too slowly, breathe...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I'm like super-cashier defender this week. (Please don't hate me)

Giving back the change wrong so that the customer can't handle it is just poor training. Lots of retail managers don't think about a lot of the minor things they're supposed to teach thier employees and this is one of them.

Talking to co-workers while serving a customer is inexcusible. I've fired cashiers who can't correct themselves.

I will defend on these points though: Forcing a receipt is a loss prevention policy. You ever see those little "If you don't get a receipt you're meal is free" signs? It forces the cashier to ring the sale and makes it much much harder to pocket money. Also overhead surviellence cannot see if the register is actually ringing the sale, but can see a cashier hand the receipt out.

As for frequent-shopper and crap cards, trust me when I say it irritates the cashier much more than you that they are forced to offer them. High pressure point-of-sale tactics are usually mandated by uper-level managers who have never set foot on a sales floor in their lives. You should complain to stores' corporate offices about these policies.