View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Matt Matros article in Cardplayer about coinflips

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen players in tournaments of various sizes who rather than avoid the 50/50s (and sometimes even some less favorable odds) actively seek out such situations early in a tournament in an effort to either quickly accumulate chips or bust out and do something else with their time (as opposed to spending several hours to just barely make the money or end up busting out on the bubble b/c of a low chip stack).
Tiffany

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be serious. If that "logic" is true, then the player should take his buy-in to do the whatever is better option , skipping the tournament completely

[/ QUOTE ]

I am serious as I have seen people do it (or at least this is the explanation they've given at the time). In reading the posts here I can see arguments for taking on the 50/50 chances and arguments against risking your entire tournament on such situations. I'm not sure which is better/correct; it may be as previously suggested that it all depends on the player's skill level. The more highly skilled players will probably be capable of grinding their way through the less skilled players in the tournament; but I do see the "logic" (or thinking) of people who prefer to take a 50/50 early in a tournament, even if it means their tournament life is on the line, in order to acquire the chips they believe necessary to allow them to place higher or ultimately win the tournament.

Tiffany