View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Is checking out \"unethical\"?

[ QUOTE ]
Until one day when a player used this information to raise when he saw the next player folding the 2nd he reached forward. The 4th player went nuts...rightfully so...about offering "protection" to the rest of the table by not folding until action before him was COMPLETED.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were right for reasons irrelevant to this thread:

(1) The person making the mistake here is player 3 who indicates he is going to fold out of turn.

(2) How could player 1 have checked out if player 2 was betting and changed to a raise? That means that player 1 either bet or folded to a bet.

[ QUOTE ]
To those of you that "just dont get it". Try just accepting it as unethical and dont do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, someone who has "been around for a long time" is telling us just to accept it even though there is no clear reason. It is not in the rule book and is not unethical. I think that the vast majority of times, checking out is stupid and I don't think I have ever done it accept possibly in a home game.

I will go a step further: If you are playing in my game and you are the first to act on the river, PLEASE check out. If I am still in the hand, it is far more preferrable to be facing one less adversary when it is my turn to act. Indeed, if you don't check out you are likely the guy that is going to make it clear he is going to fold anyway. So just do it.