View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: $11-No idea where I am postflop

I'm going to disagree with Bazuul.

Your preflop raise is fine. I may have made it 70 or 80, but I don't think it really impacted the hand. You definitely want to make people pay to see a flop and you hope to thin the field, but you aren't all that disappointed to get a little action on KK.

Even though it's paired and connected, this really isn't a bad flop for you at all. It's rainbow and all low cards. If something like A3 called your raise, so be it. You can't slow down here. Likewise if 56 or A5 called and is going to chase the draws, then again, you can't really slow down. I like your bet (again, I personally make it a little bigger, but yours is fine).

The turn, while it completes 3 to the straight, again isn't all that dangerous. If he has A5 or 56 I think you just might have to pay him off. I think that Bazuul's idea that
[ QUOTE ]
Scary card at the turn. very coordinated board at this point

[/ QUOTE ]
is kind of a case of "monsters under the bed". You're scared of that 2334 board, but logically what would be there? I'm not saying there aren't donks at the $11s, but I don't think you can slow down because of the rare event you are beaten and miss all the chips you'd collect on all the times you're ahead. Seeing this board and thinking "oh god, I could be beat" considering the action up to this point is playing scared, in my opinion.

While I agree that against a decent player you won't get paid off on the river by anything worse than what you have, considering the action up to this point I wouldn't figure you're beat. I might have bet smaller but I think you can bet for value here. I don't think a river check is horrible because the hand has played kinda strange up to this point, but I do think you have value here.

[ QUOTE ]
Noticed how you ended up putting your whole stack in the pot with just a pair?

[/ QUOTE ]
At an $11 tournament with a preflop raise, you can not be scared of getting chips in on a board like this. Sure he may have been called by A3, or 56, or A5, or 72 for all we know. However, a 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] board is not one you should be scared to commit chips on. You'll be shown a better hand sometimes, but I believe you'll be shown a worse hand much more frequently (at least up to the river checkraise).

Summary: yes, he may be beat. That doesn't mean he played it wrong. Any board can have an overpair beat, and this is about the least threatening of all.

OP: I may have checked the river out of confusion, but I think a smaller value bet is correct.

-SonnyJay