View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: What is your worst kind of tilt?

[ QUOTE ]
But, my worst kind of tilt is when I'm not on a terrible streak (6-8 OOTM for example) but still feeling a little down about my game, and catch myself not being able to pull the trigger on the bubble

[/ QUOTE ]

This exact type of tilt used to be my biggest problem. It definitely took more than 6-8 OOTM to get there, but I'd get very down on myself, lose confidence, and become passive. I'm probably less aggressive than most winning players to begin with, so it was a serious problem.

The only thing I can suggest is getting to know yourself and the nature of poker better. There's no Aleo's guide for that, nor should there be. It's probably the greatest hurdle (dealing with losing) for any winning player and the one that probably breaks the most people. Learn to recognize the signs of when you're feeling like this and stop playing. Talk yourself through the problem. Really try to understand why you're feeling the way you are. Then tell yourself what you know about the vicissitudes of poker. Make this a process that you repeat everytime these feelings of tilt arrive, until you can do this subconsciously.

If you get many other replies to this thread, I'm sure people will suggest taking a break, going out to dinner, playing stud, whatever else. Which is great for the moment, and if it helps you get off tilt, I'm all for it. But to be a long-term winner, eventually you'll need to figure out how to stop the problem before it starts.