View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Re: How screwed am I?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nah that's wrong, being charged is public record, even if the gov doesn't have to tell you, it's public information and a private background check will turn it up.

you can have it expunged if it's dismissed or if you are convicted and file some stuff, but as it stands, public record.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter if its public information. Employers are not allowed to make employment decisions based on arrests or indictments.

[/ QUOTE ]

says who? employers can and do this.

I hate to say it, but a federal indictment will show up on most basic background checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are hosed. Go check out the questions on the Form U4, which is a standard form to become a registered rep/stockbroker. Form 4

Employers absolutely have the right to ask you questions such as whether you have ever been the subject of a criminal investigation, indictment, etc., and frankly they should, particularly if the job enjoys a position of trust.

Im sorry to be a dick, but in my experience, anybody who gets a federal indictment slapped on them is pretty damned guilty. Unless you're in some podunk district where the prosecutors are horrible, chances are it was a righteous indictment.

You really need to be worrying less about the job prospect, and more about making sure that you either get a cooperation deal, or a serious legal defense (in the unlikely event you happen to be innocent). The Sentencing Guidelines are a bitch, and you could well be incarcerated for a long long time if found guilty.