View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Furgeson says have to be very intelligent! Is he right?

Why the insults? You took a statement from Chris FERGUSON out of context then sweepingly insulted top pros by saying:

[ QUOTE ]
Players such as Layne Flack, Scotty Ngyuen, PHIL IVEY, Mike mattusow(not sure at top but a threat), Jonny Chan, Hoyt Corkins, and many others are people that wouldn't be considered very intelliigent people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, you try and worm your way out of it with the disclaimer:

[ QUOTE ]
At least in the sense that furgeson uses. As he went on to give his degrees and such. I'm not in any way knocking these guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, right. All these guys are not very intelligent - but I'm not knocking them at all.

Oh, but now you stick up for them

[ QUOTE ]
But to show that they are players that might not necessarily be very intelligent people that dominate the tournament poker world.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have constructed a poorly worded, half assed argument. Your post was not interesting and at best it was not well thought out. That's why you're being flamed. On top of that, you've made Ferguson look like some elitist snob by paraphrasing and extracting what was probably a salient point.

Your real argument is "book smart" which, if you had stated in the first place, "Gee, JOHNNY Chan, Hoyt Corkins, et al, don't have college degrees, but they do pretty darn good", then you wouldn't have appeared to make such an asinine post. Plus, I can forgive a typo or two or three but when you start butchering their names, that's another one for ire.

Let's take the definition of intelligence .

in·tel·li·gence ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-tl-jns)
n.

1 a. The capacity to acquire and apply knowledge.
b. The faculty of thought and reason.
c. Superior powers of mind. See Synonyms at mind.

2 An intelligent, incorporeal being, especially an angel.

3 Information; news. See Synonyms at news.

4 a. Secret information, especially about an actual or potential enemy.
b. An agency, staff, or office employed in gathering such information.
c. Espionage agents, organizations, and activities considered as a group: “Intelligence is nothing if not an institutionalized black market in perishable commodities” (John le Carré).

I think everyone you've named is intelligent. I would go on to say they are very intelligent. IN POKER. Are these guys going to decode the human genome? Cure cancer? Write the great American novel? Hell, no.

They are great at "The capacity to acquire and apply knowledge. The faculty of thought and reason." IN POKER.

Garbled ideas with back handed insults ruin this forum for me.

[ QUOTE ]
I dint insult anyone in my post.

[/ QUOTE ]

The next time you're at a cocktail party with "Layne, Scotty, PHIL, Jonny, and Hoyt" be sure to say, "Chris Ferguson says you have to be very intelligent to be at the top of poker but I think you guys prove him wrong. I mean with degrees and such" and see how many teeth you have left.

[ QUOTE ]
I insulted nor offended anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gosh, it must be horrible to be right all the time.