View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: This is not a good way to play an overpair, right?

The turn play in this hand just seems wrong. Without the read on villain having played a monster so much differently, the ole "min-raise" the preflop raiser is often an attempt with any pair to snap off a continuation bet (he's putting you on AK, of course), or a set (he's putting you on an overpair and hoping you get pot committed by calling or re-raising his min-raise). So, just calling his min-raise and then check-raising him all-in on the turn just seems strange. A semi-decent villain with only one pair of jacks or lower would give you credit for an overpair or a set of Jacks and fold at that point. And unless he picked up a backdoor flush draw, the board is still pretty drawless for you to worry too much about somebody "calling" to catch something. I think you're either way ahead or way behind on the flop, and you need to find out which without getting stacked.

Therefore, without a read (which you have in this case):

I think three-betting the flop and folding to a push is good.

I also think calling the flop min-raise is OK if you bet 1/2 pot on the turn and fold to a push.

I think check-raising all-in on the turn is not so good. Really, if villain was not married to TPWK (as he turned out to be) you'd have lost to anybody else that would have called your big check raise.