View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Any eight will win!

Wow - i just read this entire thread and I don't think anyone has explained in a succinct way the diff between the OP and Kaesar's 3 examples. The main theme of when it's ok or not for a player not in the hand to speak is DOES IT AFFECT A PLAYERS ACTIONS.

OP's example. The dude saying "any 8 makes a straight" caused the old guy to relook at his hand and table it when it pretty much looked like he was going to muck. It affected the players actions.

[ QUOTE ]
Example 1: NL Tournament 2 players all-in pre-flop, flop comes 332 and old guy to my right says, "damn I folded 2-3"

[/ QUOTE ]
Even if the cards weren't tabled, him saying he folded 2-3 will NOT have an effect on the action. If another guy has the 3, then he knows he has the 3 - it's very obvious. It won't affect his action to fold or show. Now, if there was action to come after the flop, then the old man needs to keep his mouth shut.

[ QUOTE ]
Example 2: 3-6 limit 3 players active on the river 4 hearts players show 2-pair, a set, and a straight. A lady says, "wow I can't believe no one had the flush".

[/ QUOTE ]
All hands are tabled - whatever the lady says does NOT affect a player's action.

[ QUOTE ]
Example 3: 4-8 limit 2 players active river is seven. Winner shows top two pair and player says, "nice raise on the turn I folded pocket 7's".

[/ QUOTE ]
the player with pocket 7's saying he had pocket 7's will have no affect on whether the other person in the hand will muck or show, if he hasn't already mucked or shown. Now if the guy had said that while there was still bets and raises going on, that gives players extra information and may affect a player's action.

To simplify, just don't announce what are the nuts on the board, whether there are straight or flush possibilities while there's still action, or if there were any cards that could have possibly made a backdoor flush or straight, don't point those things out.