View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Question about Chemistry degrees

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for all the questions but I am really interested in the field but don't know how it will relate to real world jobs. Can a person make a good living in this line of work? I don't see myself becoming a professor so I'll ignore that part. Is it worth all the work that is put into obtain a PhD?

[/ QUOTE ]
ing
I have a number of friends that have PhDs. It seems to be the case to me that getting a PhD without loving your field and sub-field is a serious waste of time.

If you live in the right place, you can make an okay living as a lab assistant or a research associate with just only a bachelor's in chemistry. The work is boring, repetitive and thankless. Chemistry is very useful though.

A chemistry degree provides a number of professional school and graduate options if you change your mind. My recommendation to you would be that you not set your future in stone because your tastes may change or chemistry just might not be for you. Also, seeing a career counselor to get more information would be a good idea. Your college should have such a person. I got a degree in molecular biology and not chemistry, but have worked with many people with chemistry degrees in biotech/pharma.

If you search around, you can probably find some career development/advice boards on the net.