View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Bartolo Colon Wins AL Cy Young

[ QUOTE ]

Could have been Barts decision to stay in the game. But many coaches would pull him to protect his numbers, I think?

[/ QUOTE ]

while i am sure that happens sometimes (but very rarely), managers pull pitchers because they think that's the best move to give the team a chance. i hardly think that colon would be pulled to protect his numbers. he'd be pulled because he didn't have his best stuff that day.

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, a low ERA almost ALWAYS means the pitcher gave his team a chance to win, but a high ERA could mean that pitcher gave his team a chance to win every single time but once.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is wrong. over 200+IP in order to raise the ERA by 1, the pitcher would need to give up 22+ runs over his normal average in that one bad outing. so, a pitcher like colon would need to give up 25 ER in a game. that's more than one bad outing. a bad outing can be when you give up 5+ runs, considering that you are probably not doing it over 9 innings either.

9 runs given up to ARod raised colon's ERA by at most .35, still waaaayyy over santana's ERA.