View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: I will review YOUR hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Re: My thread entitled "Few hands from my 1/2 session tonight."

I've already posted results further down in the thread so don't look. I stopped the action at decision point for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

your laziness almost exceeds mine. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

but fine. here's the first one.
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

you forget the Hth rule of my thread.
"H. provide reads."

Now without a read we have to go auto-pilot.

So, what do normal loosish, passive-ish people 3-bet preflop? Lets be restrictive. AA, KK, and AK only.
Of these we are only really worried about KK.

One way to approach this to do a "combination analysis". Everyone should learn how to do this on paper, and eventually it becomes easier to estimate during table conditions.

Assuming we know nothing about the deck, there are 6 ways to make AA and 6 ways to make KK and 16 ways to AK or AKs. And 28 total hands (6+6+16). For perspective, this restrictive range represent 2.1% of the starting hands (ie it would be a low range for preflop raising, but here we're talking about 3-betting)

This means, a priori we are ahead of 16/28 = 57% of his hands, behind 21%, and tied with 21%. A pretty good situation.

However, we know some important information. Namely, we have 2 aces, and there's a king on the board. This means there is only 1 way for him to have AA, 3 ways for him to have KK, and 6 ways for him to have AK. We now have about a 2:1 edge.

Based on this info alone, we 3-bet the flop because we own him.

Now, if villian happens to be a gooder player than one who'll only 3-bet those 3 hands, he's got a wider range and we're in even better shape. Furthermore, his flop action is consistent with other big pairs. And in this case, if we don't get bets in on the flop he's going to slow down on the big streets.

Also, he could be over aggressive. In this case, we want all the action he's going to give us.

3-bet and proceed from there.