View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: hand vs excellent player, limit satellite

There is no way you can fold top pair in this spot against a tricky player.

You are in a steal position and he is very short on chips. After his preflop 3bet and flop lead he is down to about 3 bbs. As soon as you raise the flop, your are putting him in a spot where he must either fold or commit to showdown -- he is very rarely going to call the flop and fold the turn here because any further money he puts in is going to commit him to the pot even more. Once he decides he's putting all of his chips in, it is time to maximize his fold equity against you, so he will often be 3betting very light on the flop. This isn't like a normal cash game where it would be bad to 3-bet a pocket pair here since he is able to fully realize his hot/cold equity and he isn't opening himself up to a tough decision of folding the best hand vs. paying off big vs strong hands. Because he might be drawing you absolutely must commit him to this pot by raising the turn.

Anyways, in this situation with these type of chip stacks and a hand this strong I tend to play more passively than I would in a cash game, because the smaller stacks will be more inclined to keep jamming with lots of hands trying to get you to fold and at the same time are more likely to get away from weaker hands when you play back at them early in the hand before they are committed to showdown. With these specific stacks I will usually either call down and bet if checked to or wait to raise a non-club turn.

edit: I would like to point out that OP apparently miscalculated the stack size of SB -- according to the action he has closer to 1.5k when the hand starts, and doubling him up will only take us to 3.5k