View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: 5/10 AA lots of callers preflop

A play I use quite a bit with those big cards is to check the turn and river. I don't want to lose a stack with big overpairs... I keep the pot small in these situations and also make money when a guy tries to bluff at me on those two streets. There is nothing worse than being out of position with a hand like KK, raising PF and flop and having some dude just call both times - especially when there's $200 in the pot and you each have another $1,000 behind. Even with KK and no draws, this feeling is terrible. I find when I check the turn out of position, aggressive players will bluff away money to you (here and the river). Further, this play will buy you some respect when you raise PF with AK and catch nothing on the flop, then raise the flop and check the turn. You won't be getting hammered by the guys with 66 on the turn if they know you play AA the same way.

In this case, however, you are IN position. If he has a set or straight... or two goofy pair, his best play is to make a value bet. Well, at this point, you are happy paying only a value bet to get through the hand... so check to him and see