View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: QTo favorite over 2\'s

[ QUOTE ]
thanks paul!!!

i can't seem to get the different evaluation engines to agree... i guess i just think it's interesting as to whether you are technically a favorite or not... but it's arguable that 51/49 and 50/50 are not too different.

wonder why these engines don't agree.

and one engine said QJo was worse than QTo against 2's. i don't see that. obviously the fact that the straight is constrained at the higher end, but i'd rather take the open-ended nature of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

pokerstove can do the calculations iteratively. QTo is a slight favorite over 22, QJo a slight favorite but a hair less of a favorite. (Iteritively means it goes over all possible combinations, so the answer is exact. Many engines use a monte carlo method to get their results, so they will have a margin of error.)

51/49 is very different than 50/50. It is a bigger edge than the house has for the pass and don't pass lines in craps. In some situations you would make the same decision regardless of whether you are 49%, 50%, or 51% to win a hand, but slight edges matter a lot, and the cummulative effect of always being on the good or bad side of slight edges is huge, but variance really obscures the value of edges in the short run.