View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Relying too much on PT reads?

[ QUOTE ]
Another example - 2 50+ players limp from MP ... I am CO with a marginal hand like, KJ or KJs. If the blinds & button are reasonably tight, should I raise & try to play KJ 3-way against 2 players who probably limped with garbage? Is it still correct to do so with KJs even though KJs plays well multiway (and risk blinds drawing me with trash)? I think I might be taking this "isolate bad player(s)" thing too far to the point where it's leaking my game, but I haven't played enough hands to be sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I wrong, but KJo tends to prefer HU situations more than multiway. So being up against one or two opponents is preferable. As it is a one gapper, the high card strength is more emphasized. So basically, you're expecting your TPDK to stand up against one or two loose players.

I'll raise with KJo after one or two loose limpers to knock the blinds out assuming the blinds are tight.

At least in the micros, I don't mind raising with KJs against more than 2 opponents especially if I have positional advantage.

I think the problem with tracker stats is that people often just use those as "reads." It's been said a million times, but stats should back up reads. Based on reads + stats, you should adjust your preflop play. "42/5/1.2/500" certainly helps, but it's only a part of the equation.

Another problem: how accurate is a model of an opponent if you only have, say, 30 or 50 hands. Believe me, I've adjusted my preflop according to stats only to find out that the opponent I was against was much tighter than I thought. A tight player can have a heatwave and skew your stats, so pay attention to what he's showing down and his betting patterns.