View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Confessions of a mediocre tournament player

Well, first things first: in a $5 rebuy you shouldn't be bluffing nearly as much as sirio or almost any other regular on this board. Having said that, stealing every orbit is not even what most people do - given what you've described, I think you would do better by trying to play less scared while remaining TAG. (To put it another way, working on your bubble and resteal aggressiveness is more important than just stealing more, IMO.)

This is how I would play your hand: call preflop, check/fold thereafter. I would also accept making it 12K if the buyin was higher, or making one 5000-ish stab at the pot on the flop and shutting down. But after he calls an overbet on the flop for a third of his stack (in a $5 tournament) there's no point in betting again, and the overbet itself looks pretty bluffy.

Making it 12K PF (and then either shutting down or pushing when you hit this flop depending on how likely he is to fold an A5o) is the far better play if you're gonna decide to be aggressive, IMO.