View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Winners/Losers PLO8

My database has 4370 hands and is 62/38 mostly at $200 buy-in, with some $500 and very little $50 and $100. Don't forget the rake. I think that's a bigger factor than survival bias, but I could be wrong there. (I don't play at Party, so I can't just datamine, I have to be playing to get data) - not sure if that's much of a sample or not.

[ QUOTE ]
"Even a nut low gets you killed without a high it seems so I fold alot of nut lows."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can hang around a little more in smaller pots. You can also try to push more at small pots when you think everyone else is weak, especially if 'everyone else' is only 1 or 2 players and you have a little something each way (odds of one guy getting you both ways in a small pot are usually slim).

[ QUOTE ]
This game will carve you up quick it seems but if you wait long enough you can do the carving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't that the truth. If you wait long enough you will do the carving, don't worry. I play a fairly tight, wait for the nuts game, but I'm willing to push against bad opponents and I try to get involved in pots with bad opponents and avoid good opponents. I know it's cliche, but it really makes a difference.

Actually, I think that makes a huge difference. I don't sit at the table if I can't get position on the maniacs, etc.. When the bad players leave, I'll tighten up and eventually I leave too. Things like that add a lot to your earn in a game like this. I know that I still have some pretty big leaks, yet I'm at 12.56 BB/100 (W/when seeing flop is 27% in 7-10 handed games - I tend to lose smaller pots and win bigger ones generally) and I rarely have a long enough bad swing that it even makes me worry. For example, when I get stuck with a weak hand like a bottom set or K high flush, it's tough to let go - but I keep myself out of those situations pre-flop mucking trash like 2s3d3hKs. It's when I pick up a hand like that in the blind that I have trouble if it hits. But I'm working at it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I know a lot of that stuff is 'obvious' to many people here, but for a new person to a game like PLO8 it might not be - and even if it is, putting it into practice isn't so easy for every personality type. Hopefully that helped you some . . .