View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: To All 2+2ers around Austin

There is something very important to state here. San Marcos is a horrid town. Now sure, there are a lot of people that live in the apts, and SWT (which is howt I still call the university) is a nice school. Plenty of people, nice classes, and overall small town feel. However the city of San Marcos is boring to live in. If you go visit the city for a day you'll see why.

Many people I know live in Austin (south side) and just do the 20-25 min commute to class. Its not that bad of a commute as long as you live near the freeway on the southside.

A really good tip I always recommend. Take classes at Austin Community college. Why go to a community college, with classes of a lesser grading/studying level? For a Texas student you have to take a lot of core circumlum classes for any major. 6hrs govt, 6hrs english, 6hrs history, a speech class, fine arts class, etc.

You take a full load of classes at SWT/Txstate you'll pay like 2k in tuition. However, you take the exact same classes at ACC, a full semester will only run $600.

The best part is any state school in Texas has to accept your credits that you earned in community college. Plus all you need is a C grade for the credit to transfer. It wont even go on your main university GPA.

So you could have the option take 1 or 2 classes at SWT, then take the other classes at ACC. Then send in the transcript at the end of the semester, and get credit for that class at SWT.

Austin > San Marcos by far.