Thread: Career question
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Career question

Not sure where to put this, but my other choice was OOT... the decision made itself, really.

I'm 22 and a second-year law student at Georgetown. Graduated from Yale (history) in 3 years. Not much economic/quantitative coursework. 3 semesters of chem. (organic, inorganic, and physical), multivariable calc, a year of basic physics, and game theory, pretty much. Law school coursework is pretty heavily business-oriented: corporations, tax, securities reg., etc. I'll be spending this summer at a large firm in Cleveland, hopefully working in structured finance, bankruptcy, and/or M&A.

I'm interested in getting into investment banking. I think my particular skill set is melding mathematical/quantitative/financial understanding with legal familiarity. I imagine using these skills to provide valuation of exotic debt securities, or assessing the impact of a tax or regulatory situation on a firm. There might be more things I would be well suited for that I just don't know about. I'm looking at an after-graduation salary of low six-figures, so I'm not really willing to too far below that for a starting salary unless there's huge potential for growth.

OK, given all that:
1. For any one with knowledge of the industry, what jobs are there where I can apply these skills?
2. Not being an MBA or undergrad, how do I go about selling myself to these people? Do I have a realistic chance? I have one friend at JP Morgan who just started as an analyst.