View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Anyone have Exact Chip Counts of the Raymer vs. Kanter hand?

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like you only play online, which is basically the weakness in Kantor's game. You mention that 1 pair is usually beat by a turn raise, which is true. But, you don't seem to be willing to give me credit for making a good read of a relatively transparent opponent. If we were playing online, I would give Aaron's play a lot more credit. But, since we were playing live, he should have been thinking about me, and what cards I was holding, and how I would play them, rather than just looking at the cards on the table and in his hand. Or, instead of just thinking I might have AK, he should have been looking at me and trying to figure out how likely a hand AK was for me at that time. And I don't mind, I'm glad I was able to get millions of dollars in the pot as a 9:2 favorite; I'm only disappointed that I lost.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg, I am willing to give you credit for a good read, but I think a lot of the criticism of Kantor's play of the hand is unjustified. Calling behind with the intention to bluff or semibluff most turns is not as bad a play as many people are making it out to be. Obviously it looks donkish cause you happened to have KK, but most of the time you do not have JJ-AA, which is probably the minimum that you would call against a raise on the turn. And even if you did have JJ-AA (which is certainly not that high of a probability given what I've heard about your open-raising standards) he might be able to get you to lay those down as well. Maybe he didn't have a read on you, but he doesn't need a read for his play to be correct in the long run because there is a good chance that you call there with very few hands, and even if you do call he has 9 outs.

Anyway, I'm not saying that Kantor's play was optimal, but I am pretty sure that if a big name pro had made the same play he would not be criticized as much. I would like to point at that Kantor's play on the QJ hand was very similar to your call-to-bluff with 22 earlier in the tournment, which was arguably more questionable considering that you were out of position.