Thread: 10/20 hand
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: 10/20 hand

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the other poster, check the turn. If UTG doesn't 3-bet it's a different story, but he's going to have a bigger ace quite often here. Your chances of picking up the pot are pretty much nil and the odds that your bet is for value are only slighlty higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with checking the turn. You have top pair with a good kicker, but not the best. Also, you have the nut flush draw, so giving a free card here probably isn't going to hurt you. Plus, if you are already behind to a bigger Ace, 2 pair, or a set, you get to the showdown cheaper.

I also like checking the turn b/c of the check-raise that UTG put on you on the turn, which was a very good move by UTG. Notice that preflop and on the flop, Hero and UTG are the aggressors. On the flop, UTG bet out, MP3 called, Hero raised, and UTG re-raised. Now it's 2 bets to MP3, who again just calls. In my mind, this passive play screams out "DRAWING HAND." Therefore, if I'm the UTG player, I'm going to check the turn, counting on Hero, as the player who capped the flop, to bet out and then I (as the UTG player) check-raise, thus charging MP3 2 Big Bets to chase his draw. Hero should have noticed that MP3 was calling with a draw and that it was likely that UTG would check-raise in an effort to drive MP3 out of the pot. After realizing that Hero may have to pay 2 Big Bets to see the river if UTG executes such a check-raise, Hero should check the turn.