View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Which Martial Art

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ast but not least, I really am not interested in grappling styles. As a big dude, I prefer to stay on my feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some problems here. As a big guy, a lot of people will (if you ever get into a fight) not want to keep you on your feet. Regardless, a lot of fights end up on the ground anyway (there is endless debate about how much, but it seems to be a large proportion), regardless of whether either participant wants it too. Finally, grappling styles to varying ddegrees (I agree you don't want to concentrate on a style that focuses purely on the ground) will be the best thing to teach you how to stay on your feet/keep your balance - Judo especially so.

My main advice if you're keen to learn how to fight would be not to do anything that doesn't involve at least some sparring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would favor a brazilian jujitsu type grappling over judo as a second skill because it will better allow you to regain position if someone does take you down as well as teach you to avoid various submissions. With the prevalence of mma on tv, a lot more people will being trying arm bars and such. If you cannot take a bjj type skill due to no offerings in your area, basic college style wrestling training can be invaluable in grappling. Though the lack of submission awareness makes it inferior to a good jujitsu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, although I think judo is probably the best way to learn how to put other people on the ground without ending up there yourself. Once you're down there, jj is probably more useful.