Thread: QQ in Big Blind
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: QQ in Big Blind

[ QUOTE ]
I don’t think reraising pot-commits you.
Suppose you make it 2000. You then have 3350 left which is still about half the average stack. If your opponent chooses to reraise all-in (which would be a courageous raise without AA, KK or AK), then you have a decision to make. But you can still get away from the hand if you wish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to give villain the opportunity to put you to a tough decision like this? You have a premium hand that's only dominated by 2 other hands and a favorite against every other holding. If he does push preflop you're now being given great odds to call and the only hands you could justify a fold against are exactly AA and KK. Unless you are fairly certain he has one of those hands I think you're making the wrong move by just re-raising here.

[ QUOTE ]
Whether you raise to 2000 or push, your opponent will probably fold all hands less than QQ. So you win the same amount of chips either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

A raise to 2000 only makes it 1350 more for him to call into a pot of 2875. With 2:1 odds he has proper odds to call with a lot of holdings.

[ QUOTE ]
If you push, then you are just hoping that your opponent does not have AA or KK. You have left yourself no escape route.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you've left him an escape route where you could have gotten him to commit nearly his whole stack and lose it to you.

[ QUOTE ]
You mention that your only remaining bet after the flop is all-in. That is certainly the case IF your 2000 bet is called, AND you choose to bet. But maybe your opponent will fold to your raise pre-flop, or maybe he will reraise all-in. Needless to say, I think a push in this position is a poor play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already said he has 2:1 odds to call, so it's not all that likely he's going to fold here for a measly 1350.

[ QUOTE ]
I should have mentioned that this was a live tournament, so the play is not as wild as it would be playing on the net.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play plenty of live MTTs and there are tons of donkeys and retirees in them. I don't find a huge difference. If anything, people push harder in live games because you don't have as many hands dealt in the same timeframe and smaller live MTT structures usually push action with fast rising blinds.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, the big discussion afterwards was about the BB’s pre-flop play. He just called the CO’s raise. Some people said it was ok to do that. I said he should have raised 2000 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you could alternate between calling and re-raising here. I don't like to play Queens too slowly before the flop but some players would opt for this line and hope for a low ragged flop and let the villain lead out the flop, then apply the pressure.

Since you're in the blinds and you know you'll be first to act after the flop, another option here is a stop-n-go where you just smooth call and expect to jam any flop. This play has a much higher variance to it, but will win you the pot in a lot of cases.

I still like my default play of pushing over all other choices. A good player should definitely vary their play somewhat between all of these options so he isn't too predictable.