View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Negreanu\'s latest blog update...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No one in the tournament is guaranteed to be getting less money. Are you telling me that if the first player to get knocked out gets his pocket aces cracked by someone other than the BIG THREE he made less money that he would have if they had not been in the tourney? Hint: If your answer is anything other than a resounding no then you do not understand poker or math. Since the correct answer is obviously no then your post was a waste of your effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were only two players in the whole tournament, and it was winner-take-all, you could also get knocked on the first hand and walk away with nothing. Does that mean your equity is the same whether there are two or 2000 players in a tournament? Your examples suggest that it is *you* that has very little understanding of poker or math.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor little Tim, no reading skills either? How do you survive at the poker table? Using Caro's Book of Tells?

Hint #1: You either missed or intentionally ignored the word guaranteed in my quote.

Hint #2: Losing tournamnet equity and losing money are two entirely different things. I never meant to imply nor did I ever state that someone's tourney equity was not lowered by additional entrants. I did in fact state that it was however it was short sighted thinking with a higher longterm benefit of sponsors like Pepsi participating in future events.

In your example of a heads up winner take all tourney assuming that both players are equal they would both have 50% tourney equity. Now suppose you add two more players to the winner take all format (of equal skill to the original two) then naturally I would agree that your equity dropped to 25%. However if you get put out of the first hand of the tourney you won zero dollars in either case so the addition of the extra players did not change your payout. Please tell me you understand this simple concept otherwise I believe the ignore user function might be in order.

I have already explained in another post which you ignored that at some point in the tourney (the point where you get close to cashing in the money) that the additional players affected your income. However it should be obvious to all that at the bottom of the ladder as long as one of the added players did not knock you out there are two many other factors involved to consider the additional players even a marginal consideration.