View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: \"Playing Poker\": Theory and Practice

I think playing good poker is like taking a multiple choice test. You shouldn't spend too long on the question and you should try to make as best a decision as you can with the alotted time. You have to be confident in your decision and keep your thought process in order. If you get overwhelmed with the tables then I'd start closing some down until you feel you have control again.

Good post. Posting is a lot easier since we have ample amounts of time and all the info. laid out neatly in front of us. When I'm playing 3 or 4 tables I'll often have to guess how my opponents play since I play at non-friendly PT sites. I also have an irrational fear that if I take more than 3 seconds to make a decision my opponents will figure out what I'm thinking.

As for getting better at the practice of poker I've grown the most playing .05/.1 at a Prima skin. I had lost hundreds at Party and Pacific and decided to really learn the game. I made concise notes on all of HPFAP and completely broke down SSH. I thought of scenario like flush draws and overcards and specifically tried to apply it to my game. The result is that I gradually built my bankroll up to $75 or so then won a couple of freerolls to bring my roll up to $345. Then I hit Party .5/1.

It seems everytime I move up a limit I have to improve or adjust my game. When I moved to 5/10 I almost never made any attempts to hand read at all. I learned that it was vital as I found myself frequently Stealing and Defending blinds.