View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Playing against flush draws.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a hypothetical situation:

Both villains here are loose and passive - they'll call down with any pair and don't raise without a very strong hand.

We have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP.

Preflop: folded to us, we raise, folded to the blinds who both call.

Flop: (6 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
blinds check, we bet, they call

Turn: (4.5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
blinds check, we bet, they call

River: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
blinds check, we bet, SB calls, BB check/raises, <font color="blue">we fold</font>

We're not obligated to call a river raise or check/raise. We need to bet here because both villains will call with a pair - we miss out on a ton of value if we check behind.

There are lots of other situations, of course. I hope this gives you an idea of what we're talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, this is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. I had KK in almost the exact same situation last night. The only difference was, the betting was capped pre-flop with 1 of the villain's being aggressive, and there was a raise on the flop, so the pot was much bigger. At what size in BB would you say it's worth it to call a check-raise on the river? In your example, the pot was quite small, only 6BB, however what if the pot is over 10BB? In that case would a bet/fold still be right or would it be more appropriate to bet/call if raised? Thanks very much.