View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: reason to argue for ID in the US?

[ QUOTE ]
I would not be opposed to adding some form of intelligent design to high school science books as long as it was presented from a scientific rather than religious point of view and it did not replace evolution. The problem is that some people want to replace evolution with Biblical creation stories (I went to a private school that did this).

[/ QUOTE ]

The "problem," IMO, is neither side being interested in allowing open discussion of the other. I believe in God. I believe in the Bible and understand the potential problems in taking it completely as an absolute and infallible document. Biblical scholars, to my knowledge, have never been able to completely agree on a "final" interpretation.

I accept most of what science presents as the case for evolution. I also see how Intelligent Design could explain the unbelievable complexities of earth and all the assorted life on the planet. And the rest of the universe? I don't see it as the result of a random happening. "The Big Bang" never made complete sense to me.

My vote is for all schools to find a way to enlighten all kids about all sides of the coin. Limited education produces limited students. We don't need any more people with limited, narrow points of view/understanding. Lord knows the streets runneth over now.

If parents feel so strongly about the issue, they should try home schooling. Or a private school. Public schools are just that, dammit. Public. That means everyone. Period.