View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: I get reraised, I flop a pair. Now what?

Hi Vincent,

I play it the same way.

Your opponent is tight and has the stats of a reasonable player. Let's see what a raise will accomplish:

Flop: He will almost never fold to a raise on the flop (and he is usually correct not to fold), so you will get addional value when you are ahead, unless he decides to play fast (with a heart draw for example) -- let's say he 3-bets the flop and leads the turn, then there is a good chance you will fold the best hand.
When you are behind you may or may not save money. If he takes the WA/WB line and calls you down then donks the river, you will lose an extra small bet over the line you took. If he 3-bets the flop and leads the turn you save 1 big bet.

Turn: Raising on the turn makes no sense to me since he will probably only continue when he has you beat, and you could have gotten to the showdown for the same price. If he had checked the turn then of course you bet. If the turn or river was an Ace, then folding on that street would be more attractive since there would be almost no hands you could beat once he bets into you.

Seems to me that calling down (like you did) and raising the flop with the intention of folding to excessive action are close, but I take your line. Also, as your opponent gets more aggressive, your line should gain in value over the other one. (When he's passive he's less likely to be bluffing when he raises and you can safely fold)

-v