View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: I have a show down hand, so, I go to show down...

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Joe if one of the normal posters on this forum or an unknown had posted this hand i would have jumped on here and said that letting five bets go in pre flop is spewage so i guess i will be honest and say i think it is spewage. I would have called the three bet and raised a safe flop which you got.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an aggressive player, the value of initiative with small pairs in heads-up pots (particularly in position) is huge. The basic point of the 4 bet is two-fold:

1. If TAG calls the four-bet and only has two big cards, you are completely putting the onus on him to improve and make a pair. This has many good effects, including that it'll be harder for him to push you out of a pot if you do have the best hand, and he might fold early in the hand because he thinks he's in worse shape than he really is (and make a FTOP mistake).

2. If villain does have a better pocket pair (basically 77-99), you will often be able to win the hand on particularly ugly flops (basically, anything with two cards J or higher). If you just call the three-bet, you are basically conceding to losing any such flop.