Thread: rolled up
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: rolled up

Since you were an unknown at the 30/60 level, I think a limp/reraise gives away information about your hand too early. If you had a history of aggressive play against these players, I would go ahead and reraise trying to make the pot larger to tie them on.

If you catch something on the turn, I'd bet it or raise then. For instance, if I caught an ace on the turn, or a high suited card I'd lead as if I was developing something. That disguises the real strength of your hand.

If you brick 4th and 5th then they will lead and you will definitely get opportunities later.

The danger is that you give them free cards to beat you. If your hand looks like anything decent and you are high or checked to you must bet.

That's the general line I would take.

In your spot--if you are not going to play 30/60 regularly, and you are just taking a 'shot', then RAISE. RE-RAISE and RAISE again. You are not looking for maximun value in this spot. You are not going to have a 're-occurring edge' here. This is a one time fling with a very specific hand.

YOU NEED TO TRY AND WIN THIS HAND---not extract the most value out of it. Betting and raising gives you the best chance of this.

When taking a shot at higher stakes, I believe you must try and pick up a win, even if it leaves a couple of bets on the table. To get cute with rolled 9's and then lose because you gave away a free card can be devastating in these spots. If you pound away and lose by chance, at least you know you did everything possible to win the hand.

So---I hope you have this problem a lot [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], and if you are just taking a shot now and then---give 'em both barrels!

p.s. Also, this punishes those regular high stakes players who will try and 'push you around.' You may get a (7A)7 capping it with you on a couple of streets looking to take control of the hand.