View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Negreanu\'s latest blog update...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who thinks this is a true freeroll is daft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freeroll definition: A qualification of some sort is often required but normally no or a minimal (minimal to the point of being nearly zero) entry fee is required.

please enlighten us all as to how this is not a freeroll? You may not use the fact that they had to play in some other specified events to qualify since all three of the extra participants did as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's no different than playing in a satelite situation.

Forget who the players are here, and think about this.

How would YOU like it, if you knew you were getting LESS money, because 3 people who'd been knocked out of the satelites that everyone was told they'd have to win in, in order to qualify for the biggie, were suddenly allowed to play in the big event?

These men, while they are wonderful poker players, and such, are still MEN. They are NOT Gods, and IMO, they shouldn't be treated as such either.

If you would get ticked off if an average Joe/Jane was allowed in under these conditions, then it should honk you off just as much even though it's 3 famous players being allowed to be given exceptions after the fact (that is after everyone had played, and the original rules of how to get into the biggie event, were told to all).

[/ QUOTE ]

If the three added players had been women I would feel this way, since they were all men I have no problem with it.

Now that you have your feminine feathers ruffled I'll give you a real answer.

No one in the tournament is guaranteed to be getting less money. Are you telling me that if the first player to get knocked out gets his pocket aces cracked by someone other than the BIG THREE he made less money that he would have if they had not been in the tourney? Hint: If your answer is anything other than a resounding no then you do not understand poker or math. Since the correct answer is obviously no then your post was a waste of your effort.

Keep in mind before your head begins to hurt that your aces would have been cracked or not been depending on thousands of other factors totally unrelated to three additional players in the same tournament.

Since I have established above that at least that single player's results were not changed by the number of players entered in the event we must establish some criteria as to who would be hurt. My main point is that no one who is not invited or qualified to play in the TOC has been effected hence their outrage is uncalled for. I can empathize with those who may be effected but that still does not make it -EV long term for them either. They are being short sighted and results oriented, neither characteristic normally associated with world class players when not on tilt.