View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: How to handle praise

[ QUOTE ]
So your advice is for me to quit? EXCELLENT. you idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, if you work for me, my advice is that you should quit as it makes my life easier, although since I'm desperately looking for a new job (because I'm unmotivated because my boss never praises me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] and it is only a matter of time before it has a noticeable impact on my performance and I get reprimanded...) it probably doesn't matter...

Honestly, it sounds like your job doesn't interest you and the only way you get motivated is through fear. That is a lousy situation (for you).

I would suggest looking for another job either (1) doing different work that interests you more or (2) finding a different work environment that suits your personality better.

Many people underestimate the importance of #2.

Some people need more structure and discipline and do better in a more 'formal' work environment with bureaucracy and standard operating procedures and dress codes and best practices and detailed instructions and a lot of close supervision.

Some people need to be in a more creative/casual environment with less clearly defined roles and more varied opportunities to contribute and more freedom and responsibility.

Alternatively, if you think the problem really is with you and not your job, you need to set a higher goal for yourself. For example, your goal should not be to excel (and get praise) in your current position but to get promoted to a more challenging position.

Therefore any praise you receive for your current position should be perceived as worthless and every review where you do not get promoted should be perceived as a setback (but don't take this attitude too far and be realistic about when you can/should expect a promotion).