View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: progress after 2 weeks... still a long way to go... help?

[ QUOTE ]
When you mention re-raising with or without a hand, are you talking about these same situations, or do you mean other than when you are short-stacked and just pushing over the top of raises? If you're talking about making aggressive re-raises generally, could you say a little bit more about it? Maybe it's because I play mostly with very predictable fish, but I've found that re-raising without a premium hand during the stages of a tournament where I can do so without pot committing myself is very costly, because they don't like to let go of whatever they thought was worth raising in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Early on, I more or less play position and solid values.

The re-raise has more power when the PFR has something to lose, namely a good stack while ITM. (this also works on the bubble obviously)

Its the guys with 15-20BB's making an open raise that can't stand the heat of a 8-12BB push behind him. If he calls and loses, he has lost a big portion of a good stack (20BB's late is usually a nice stack), so he won't want to gamble without the goods.

This can work when you are not ITM, but the key to folding equity is having an opponent who has something to protect by folding, and is capable of folding.

Regards,
Woodguy