View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: A couple of bricked 3-flushes

This reminds me of a situation that occurs with 3 flushes when you are against a loose aggressive player heads up.

You limp with a 3 flush (you have an ace and 2 babies) in early position and a LAG player raises with a king showing. You know this player probably doesn't have kings but you call and 4th street is a blank. What do you do now?

Some players may say you should raise the LAG player on either 3rd or 4th street, but what if he is the type of player who just won't fold. Surely this can't be right since he's going to continue to bluff at the pot no matter what you do. Are you prepared to continue to call on 5th street with just an ace high? What is the defense to this play? I've come to the conclusion that there is no defense.

I think the only defense to this play is to make it yourself against a tight player. Next time you see a tight player limp in early position with a small card up and it looks like you'll be heads up against him, go ahead and raise with any 3 cards as long as your up card is a 9 or better. If he hits a suited card on 4th and you don't make anything, check and fold. If he catches a blank bet and expect to pickup the pot. Notice you'll be winning the pot more than 50% of the time on 4th street if he does have a 3 flush. Also you are inducing a mistake, which is how you make money in poker, if he could see you had nothing he'd be incorrect to fold 4th street.

Any thoughts on this idea?